How do I apply to take CARO certification exams?
- All RETA certification candidates must begin by submitting a completed exam certification application to RETA HQ with payment. Click here for the Certification section of our online store.
- After review and approval by RETA, your application will be processed and you will receive an email. The CARO is an entry-level examination designed to identify whether an operator has the basic knowledge to function safely in an engine room under the supervision of a more experienced operator. There are no minimum experience requirements. RETA created Study Guides to help candidates prepare to perform well on exams. Each Study Guide can be downloaded free from the RETA website. Study Guides include reference information that will be needed to answer questions during each test. These references will appear on-screen during each test. Candidates are not allowed to use these study guides during a RETA certification examination. Candidates should become familiar with these references for the RETA credential they are working toward before taking the test.
- The CARO exam study guide can be downloaded below.
- Candidates are encouraged to use the exam study guides and other test preparation materials on the RETA website to help them prepare for an exam.
- The CARO is an entry-level examination designed to identify whether an operator has the basic knowledge to function safely in an engine room under the supervision of a more experienced operator. There are no minimum experience requirements.
2020 exam fees - $490.00 RETA Member rate; $785.00 non-member rate
RETA membership must be current at the time of application in order to qualify for the member rate. If your company is a corporate member, the certification applicant must be one of the company’s designated members to qualify for the member rate.